Monday, January 27, 2020

Topic Brainstorm






1. Yoga 

I have always had an interest in yoga. Actually, I have been trying to get more and more involved with doing it and learning more about it. From my experiences thus far, it's very relaxing and calming. I enjoyed looking at one of the previous projects about the origins of different poses.

Source: Yoga (Wikipedia)

2. Creation Stories 
In reading the articles about creation, the Hindu cosmology and view on evolution were very interesting. I have always been a science person, so this struck my attention quickly. The cosmology divides time into four epochs or Yuga.
Source: Wikipedia 
Hindu on evolution Wikipedia 



3. Festivals and Holidays 
Out of all of the holidays and festivals that I looked at, I thought that the Ganesh Chaturthi was the most interesting. Though it is unknown when the festival started, it became popular after the Indian freedom fighter Lokmanya Tilak championed it as a means to circumvent the colonial British government ban on Hindu gatherings through its anti-public assembly legislation in 1892. Further, I liked getting to explore through the Hindu events calendar of Oklahoma- it definitely makes it more personable for me to see what goes on in my own state!

Source: Hindu Temple of Oklahoma 
Source: Ganesh Chaturthi (Wikipedia)


4. Food 
FOOD! Definitely not a hard choice for me to look into for a project! I like getting to dig deeper into different customs and learn about the foods that they eat and why. If I did food for a project, I think that I would mostly focus on foods that are sacred or given on religious holidays, most specifically the Vasant Panchami and the Maha Shivaratri.

Source: Maha Sivaratri (Wikipedia)
Source: Vasant Panchami (Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment