Thursday, January 16, 2020

Growth Mindset


I had never heard of the growth mindset before watching this video. However, in learning about the spectrum, I think that the way that my mind has been equipped has been through a fixed mindset. I grew up thinking that I could ONLY get A’s and that was it. To get a B was literally the equivalence of an F. Not just school, but truly everything that I do, has to be perfect. There is so much that when I begin the concept, I expect it to be right. However, I think that this leaves for disappointment. 

For this semester, I personally am striving to soak up all of my last moments in undergrad. Even at the end of 4 years, I can honestly say that I have never stopped learning, most specifically about myself. I didn’t know how to study until a year ago. I still don’t write perfect papers. And yes, in my undergrad years, I have actually failed a class. I still get mad at myself whenever I see my transcript and think about that class, because I feel like I should’ve done better. So, what if I took my transcript and turned that F into “Not Yet”?

In listening to the TedTalk, I found it concerning that studies found that students would rather cheat on the next exam than study whenever they failed. Moreover, students would search for someone who did worse, and run from any difficulty. What I like about this concept is that it is said that abilities can be developed. And I think that it is a concept that can be detrimental to life.  

I am very interested in this concept and hope to learn more about it throughout the semester. 


Growth Mindset concept:Twitter

I resonated most with this. I have always had to only rely on myself and sometimes, forget that I, too, need to ask for help and guidance.


No comments:

Post a Comment